Thursday, February 3, 2011

Kar-mon!

Here we are again, February. There is still over a foot Snow on the ground. Going out of doors
Leaves us snow blind, or with a set of chattering teeth. It seems a bit odd to me. The groundhog
has been out and still we're hitting sub zero temperatures.
This wouldn't be an issue if it didn't cause a revolt with various vehicles.
Buses, big rigs and domestic alike. This normally would be something that I could cope with,
but today's circumstance left me wondering if Old man winter has some grand design
to be sure his final breath of the season is well noted.
Recently we made the trade for our family vehicle, the durango, for a dual purpose vehicle.
A 2003 dodge ram pickup. We got a smoking deal on it and were very pleased with it, even though
it was diesel. It did everything our old pickup, and durgano did, but it was only one vehicle
as opposed to two.
"Great karma", My husband says. I should have told him to hold the thought to himself.
It wasn't more than a week after we signed the papers, that the battery on our work
Commute vehicle decided it didn't like the battery, and drained it beyond charging. Though we managed a temporary swap for the time. Long enough for the sting of the smoking deal to come
to come back to haunt us.
I asked Jacob to take the pickup so i could have the Nissan to take Wylliam to Occupational
therapy, cause lets face it, those long beds on an extra cab pickup are pain beastly to turn around in such small parking lots. Which I began to regret, about forty-five minutes after we got to the center.
All finished with his treatment we climbed in the car, and turned over the key....Nothing.
I popped the hood and wiggled the terminal chord to see if it was the connection. Sizzle, pop...Nothing. In the end I was driven to call a friend, whos was most happy to lend a
desperate woman whose grip on calm was easing away.
The plan was to wait for Jacob to come home after work and we would pick the car up then.
Jacob promised it would be a quick simple fix. If only we could have looked a few hours into the future. One ticket quota grubbing officer, a sober(very embarrassing) sobriety test, and a gas run (for the Nissan which had run out of gas just a mile and a half ahead of where i got pulled over) we were finally able to roll into bed and try to forget about our stint of bad luck.
A huge sigh of relief....right? Well today Old man winter decided to to jostle my mind a bit more.
Jacob worked midnights last night, and was so excited because it was one of the last days of his Ice fishing season. He had planed on loading up his prized ice shanty, my dad's Mr buddy portable heater, and a friend from work. Half an hour goes by after he gets home, then 45 minutes. Then we heard the tale tale ring of Jacob's Cell phone. I called it. "he can't go."
Nope he couldn't -HIS- pickup refused to start.
I should have taken this as an omen, but after much pleading, and all-be-it poorly produced fake pouts and tears, I agreed to bundle Caity and myself up to accompany him.
Pickup started fine. It rumbled away in it's bar atone manner while we finished getting all our supplies gathered and in their proper places, then off we went!
The pickup hummed along fine and dandy until we came to the bend in the road head for the
I-15 intersection. Growl, jerk, jerk, putter, putter....Then rolled to a stop just as we were trying to make a turn around.
This is where I preform what is called affectionately by many world of war craft gamers, "Psycho scream". I had no idea why it would run perfect in the drive and then 3 miles down the road just die. I was certain that something major was wrong.
Jacob did his best to way-lay the stress, but i felt that familiar dull roar building up at the sides of my head. I felt i was going to go to pieces as I sat in the passenger side of the pick up ticking off dollar amounts for the towing, fuel additives and various little addages that Mechanics charged for their labor.
Fortunately, Jacob had the good sense to call a family friend, who alluded to gelled fuel and perhaps a plugged fuel filter. Now all we had to do was find away to get us back home.
Enter the good Samaritan.
For all the stress and fretting i neglected to actually listen as he gave his name and gave my trembling hand a warm shake. While his conversation with Caity on the way home seemed to keep him whole heartedly amused, i sat in the back seat thanking the powers that be, that he saw fit to see my Prayers, no matter how rushed and heated they might have been answered.
Now here we are, pick up running, in a warm house enjoying simple comforts. Thanks to Karma.
I wonder if our lot is now reset.

No comments:

Post a Comment